Health is wealth and to treasure this wealth we need some power foods that imparts magical effect to our body as well as mind and keeps us in pink of health. Good and healthy food not only gives nutrition to our body but also helps improves our mental and emotional health. It improves our metabolism, immunity and gives us optimum energy to keep us hail and hearty.
Here is a list of 10 power packed super foods that will keep you in good shape
- Yogurt– One of the most nutritious super foods that exists. Yogurt contains good bacteria and is an essential probiotic food that boosts our immune system, metabolism and also helps in weight loss. Yogurt aids in good digestion and a good and a healthy gut helps in keeping diseases away. Yogurt is not only a delicious option that can be included in a meal, but it also makes a great breakfast or a snack option when had together with fruits, cereals, or as blended into a smoothie, shakes or had just plain and simple.
- Oily fish or fish oil– Its proven and recommended by health practitioners that fish is one of the super foods due to its all good benefits. Oily fishes contain Essential Fatty Acids (ETA) known as Omega-3 that our human body cannot produce and this can be found in oily fishes in form of EPA (Eicosapentaenoic acid) and DHA (docosahexaenoic acid). Omega-3 in Fish oil prevents heart diseases, lowers blood pressure, prevents Alzheimer’s disease, and relieves stress and depression by helping release Serotonin, a brain chemical. Fish is also known as a powerful brain food, as it provides essential nutrients to human brain and keeps it healthy. The American Heart Association suggest a daily intake of 1 gram of EPA + DHA those who are suffering from heart disease. For vegans they can opt for plant based Omega-3 based foods like flaxseeds, chia seeds etc. which provides same benefits similar to fish.
- Whole grains– Our body and mind cannot work well without good energy. Whole grains are a powerhouse of good nutrients and energy that our body requires. Whole grains like rice, wheat, oats, barley, cereals are an essential source of energy in form of Glucose to keep you going every day. Opt for whole grains that has low GI (Glycemic Index), which will release Glucose into the body slowly thus providing day long energy.
- Lean Meat– Unlike non lean meats, lean meats are low calorie packed with proteins and other nutrients. Skinless Chicken, Turkey, Pork chops with fat trimmed of and cooked in a healthy manner provides good benefit to our body. Lean meats are a rich source of proteins needed to build muscles and repair damaged cells.
- Nuts and Seeds– Nuts like cashews, almonds, walnuts, peanuts, pine nuts, flaxseeds, chia seeds, and pumpkin seeds are a great sources of Vitamin E. Nuts are also a rich source of essential minerals like manganese, calcium, iron, potassium magnesium, zinc, fluoride and selenium that are required by our body. Nuts are also an essential source of dietary fiber, essential vitamin like folate, and anti-oxidants. They are also packed with healthy monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats and good proteins.
- Bananas– Although every fruit is beneficial for our health, and contains essential nutrients required for our body, but among them Banana is a very commonly found and known for its rich source of health boosting power. Bananas can be had in many ways and can be included in food in various ways. It rich in Calcium, Potassium, B vitamin and fiber that provides instant energy and helps muscle function. It makes a great post work out snack, when had with a cup of low fat milk or yogurt. It also makes a great breakfast to give a kick start to your day.
- Dark Chocolate– Dark chocolate tops the list among the world’s healthiest food. The delightful and heavenly dark chocolate doesn’t only treat your taste buds but is also proven to reduce stress and alleviate mood. Dark chocolates with high cocoa content above 70% contains a class of rich anti-oxidants known as Flavonoids and polyphenols that help lower blood pressure, cholesterol, improves metabolism and brain function. So whenever you crave for having chocolates, just grab them without any worries.
- Mushrooms– Mushrooms are a super star among all the veggies. Mushrooms are one of the most important foods that contains Vitamin D which is a must to maintain bone health. Mushrooms are rich in selenium (an anti-oxidant), minerals like zinc, copper, niacin, and potassium and phosphorous and have a great cancer fighter capability, regulates blood pressure and decreases the risk of diabetes and blood pressure. They are also a rich source of protein and are low in calorie that helps those who are trying to lose weight.
- Tomatoes– Tomatoes are considered one of the healthiest foods on Earth. When it comes to preventing and fighting dreaded diseases like cancer, the humble tomato is proven to be a powerful food. It contains Lycopene a powerful anti-oxidant that helps to protect against free radicals generated in our body. Tomatoes are also rich in lutein and beta-carotene a powerful anti-oxidant found in abundance in tomatoes that helps to protect eyes from age related damage. Tomatoes are also rich in minerals and vitamins like A, C, K, B6 Folate and Thiamin.
- Sweet Potatoes– People are often mistaken that potatoes specifically sweet potatoes are calorie counters, whereas the truth being that sweet potatoes are considered one of the most healthiest and power packed super foods due to its high nutrient contents. Sweet potatoes are a very good source of vitamin A and beta carotene that are excellent for eyes and skin. This orange fleshed delightfully tasting veggie is a powerhouse of vital nutrients like vitamin B1, B2, B6, Potassium, phosphorus, niacin, and dietary fiber. If you want a highly nutritious one dish meal just steam some sweet potatoes, add a dash of butter and you are done.
So next time when you look forward to buy that large French fries or a burger whenever you are hungry, take a chance and make it a habit to have a healthy snack for a change and see the difference it makes.